MY HERO
I wrote this on 6th February 2024 but didn't publish it...
I will do so today as We celebrate Guka.
I am just wondering why am engulfed by this cloud of sadness and it just dawned on me that I have been having many thoughts on Grandpa lately. 26th February this year will be 2 years since his demise. Grief brings sadness but am trying to push this sadness away by focusing on the great things and lessons I have learnt from this noble man.
Guka was a nobleman, visionary, kind, simple, a champion of education, strict, a leader, a hero...my hero. He was a solid man, a man who loved his people and it was evident from the sacrifices he made. Good Samaritan Dispensary is proof of his selflessness. He was not an ordinary mwananchi, he was a mwananchi who made things happen. Guka was a well-groomed man, I have a vivid picture in my mind of him with a mirror and those shaving blades. He also loved doing his laundry. Even with the fact that he was in the village and would go graze his cattle and goats, you would never see that man looking unkempt.
Grandpa was the glue that kept us as a family together. He knew everyone in the family, nuclear and extended. Everyone had a personal relationship with him. He would call, text, and follow up on you...Guka loved kids, Kids in the village called him Guka wa Mbeera...those yummy succulent yellow fruits that grew on his farm were for his many 'tu guukas and tucucu'. Every time I see them in the market, I see him... Naima called him Papa, they had this beautiful relationship that melted my heart. Being the inquisitive girl she is, they used to have very deep conversations, especially in matters of politics and religion. Am glad they got to meet and have that beautiful relationship.
Looking back I can say a hero by the name of Peter Githinji Munene lived amongst us and am honoured to be his granddaughter.
Continue resting in eternal peace Guka.
Comments
Post a Comment